Current:Home > StocksParis Hilton's entertainment company joins brands pulling ads from X, report says -ValueMetric
Paris Hilton's entertainment company joins brands pulling ads from X, report says
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 06:26:13
Paris Hilton's entertainment company is suspending an advertising campaign on X, according to CNN, expanding the list of companies fleeing the social platform after billionaire Elon Musk's recent tweet endorsing an antisemitic conspiracy theory.
The move by 11:11 Media to distance itself from X, formerly known as Twitter, comes only a month after the companies announced an exclusive partnership that would include live video and commerce. X CEO Linda Yaccarino in October welcomed Hilton to the "@X family," tweeting: "The queen of pop culture, music, business and TV is #Sliving on X."
CBS MoneyWatch could not immediately reach anyone at Hilton's company for comment. Bruce Gersh, 11:11's president and chief operating officer, told CNN on Tuesday that the company "made the decision to immediately pull the campaign from the platform."
The advertiser exodus from X gathered steam last week after Musk, the company's billionaire owner, last week called an antisemitic post on his social media platform "the actual truth." Other major advertisers have suspended their marketing campaigns on the site in recent days, including Apple, Disney, IBM and Lionsgate, with some pointing to a report by Media Matters detailing a rise in antisemitism on X.
Apple, IBM and Oracle are among the companies that have had their ads appear next to Nazi-themed content on X, Media Matters said in its report. X has since filed a lawsuit against the liberal advocacy group, accusing Media Matters of misrepresenting its findings in an effort to destroy the company.
The White House denounced Musk for repeating "the hideous lie behind the most fatal act of antisemitism in American history," and President Biden then posted for the first time on X rival Threads.
The uproar is not the first at X, which had already lost advertisers concerned about their brands showing up on the platform next to controversial content. Musk hired Yaccarino, a former NBC executive, to sell big brands on the idea of returning to X.
According to research firm Similarweb, as of September global web traffic to Twitter.com was down 14% from a year ago, while traffic to the ads.twitter.com portal for advertisers was down 16.5%.
- In:
- Elon Musk
Kate Gibson is a reporter for CBS MoneyWatch in New York.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Judge blocks Trump lawyers from arguing about columnist’s rape claim at upcoming defamation trial
- Lions' Sam LaPorta sets record for most receptions by rookie tight end
- Why John Mayer Absolutely Wants to Be Married
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Over 100 evacuate Russia’s Belgorod while soldiers celebrate Orthodox Christmas on the front line
- Student loan borrowers face long hold times and inaccurate bills, feds find
- Nearly 3,000 pages of Jeffrey Epstein documents released, but some questions remain unanswered
- NCAA President Charlie Baker would be 'shocked' if women's tournament revenue units isn't passed
- 10 predictions for the rest of the 2024 MLB offseason | Nightengale's Notebook
Ranking
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- 4.2 magnitude earthquake shakes Los Angeles, Orange County on Friday
- South Korea says North Korea has fired artillery near their sea boundary for a third straight day.
- Attorney calls for suspension of Olympic skater being investigated for alleged sexual assault
- Golf's No. 1 Nelly Korda looking to regain her form – and her spot on the Olympic podium
- Early Mickey Mouse to star in at least 2 horror flicks, now that Disney copyright is over
- As EPA Looks Toward Negotiations Over Mobile, Alabama, Coal Ash Site, Federal Judge Dismisses Environmental Lawsuit on Technical Grounds
- Family of woman shot during January 6 Capitol riot sues US government, seeking $30 million
Recommendation
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
Supreme Court agrees to hear Colorado case over Trump's 2024 ballot eligibility
How Jennifer Love Hewitt Left Hollywood to Come Back Stronger Than Ever
Some Verizon customers can claim part of $100 million settlement. Here's how.
The Daily Money: Disney+ wants your dollars
Blinken opens latest urgent Mideast tour in Turkey as fears grow that Gaza war may engulf region
Norwegian mass killer attempts to sue the state once more for an alleged breach of human rights
Bryce Underwood, top recruit in 2025 class, commits to LSU football