Current:Home > MyJudge scolds prosecutors as she delays hearing for co-defendant in Trump classified documents case -ValueMetric
Judge scolds prosecutors as she delays hearing for co-defendant in Trump classified documents case
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 06:55:33
FORT PIERCE, Fla. (AP) — A judge on Thursday scolded federal prosecutors in the classified documents case against former President Donald Trump as she abruptly postponed a hearing to determine if the lawyer for a co-defendant had a conflict of interest.
U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon accused prosecutors of “wasting the court’s time” by raising new arguments that they had not made in earlier court filings. She said she would set a hearing for a later date for Walt Nauta, a Trump valet charged with conspiring with Trump to conceal classified documents from investigators.
Special counsel Jack Smith’s team had asked for hearings to ensure that Nauta and Carlos De Oliveira were aware of potential conflicts because their lawyers previously represented other key figures in the case. Both men were charged alongside Trump with obstructing government efforts to recover classified documents hoarded at Mar-a-Lago, the former president’s Florida estate.
Prosecutors have said in court filings that the multiple representations could create a conflict by causing a lawyer to betray the confidences of a current or former client, or “pull punches,” during cross-examination.
De Oliveira said during questioning from U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon that he understood the concerns arising from his lawyer’s former representation of three government witnesses. Nonetheless, he wanted to keep his attorney, John Irving. Cannon ruled that he could.
Irving told the judge that he did not foresee a conflict, saying there was nothing the witnesses — who are now represented by a new lawyer — could reveal that is not already known by the government or that would be problematic for De Oliveira.
De Oliveira is accused of lying to investigators when he claimed — falsely, prosecutors say — he hadn’t even seen boxes moved into Mar-a-Lago after Trump left the White House. They say he conspired with Trump and Nauta to try to delete surveillance footage from the property to prevent it from being turned over to the grand jury. De Oliveira has pleaded not guilty.
Nauta, Trump’s valet, has also pleaded not guilty to charges of conspiring to hide documents from the FBI and Justice Department.
One of his lawyers has also represented at least seven other witnesses in the probe, prosecutors say, including a Mar-a-Lago information technology worker who the Justice Department says was asked to delete the surveillance video.
That individual retracted “prior false testimony” after switching lawyers, struck a cooperation deal and provided information that incriminated Trump and helped produce a new indictment in July against the former president, Nauta and De Oliveira, prosecutors have said.
Woodward has denied any conflict.
___
Tucker reported from Washington.
veryGood! (6949)
Related
- Taylor Swift Cancels Austria Concerts After Confirmation of Planned Terrorist Attack
- Tyson Foods closing Iowa pork plant as company moves forward with series of 2024 closures
- New York Times is sending copyright takedown notices to Wordle clones
- Mega Millions jackpot rises to estimated $792 million after no one wins $735 million grand prize
- Olympic men's basketball bracket: Results of the 5x5 tournament
- Stephan Sterns faces 60 new child sex abuse charges in connection to Madeline Soto's death
- Rats are high on marijuana evidence at an infested police building, New Orleans chief says
- Savannah plans a supersized 200th anniversary celebration of its beloved St. Patrick’s Day parade
- Taylor Swift Cancels Austria Concerts After Confirmation of Planned Terrorist Attack
- Inflation data from CPI report shows sharper price gains: What it means for Fed rate cuts.
Ranking
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Berkeley to return parking lot on top of sacred site to Ohlone tribe after settlement with developer
- Meriden officer suspended for 5 days after video shows him punching a motorist while off duty
- Why Sydney Sweeney Wanted to Wear Angelina Jolie's 2004 Oscars Dress
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- How to Google better: 7 tricks to get better results when searching
- 'Dateline' correspondent Keith Morrison remembers stepson Matthew Perry: 'Not easy'
- Anticipating the Stanley cup Neon Collection drop: What to know if you want a Spring Fling cup
Recommendation
Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
Roman Polanski civil trial over alleged 1973 rape of girl is set for 2025
Wisconsin Supreme Court will reconsider ruling limiting absentee ballot drop boxes
Man attacked by 9-foot alligator while fishing in Florida
Charges: D'Vontaye Mitchell died after being held down for about 9 minutes
Who was John Barnett? What to know about the Boeing employee and his safety concerns
Neil Young returns to Spotify after 2-year hiatus following Joe Rogan controversy
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Break the Silence