Current:Home > StocksCharles H. Sloan-Federal judge poised to prohibit separating migrant families at US border for 8 years -ValueMetric
Charles H. Sloan-Federal judge poised to prohibit separating migrant families at US border for 8 years
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-07 06:26:15
SAN DIEGO (AP) — A federal judge was poised Friday to prohibit separation of families at the border for purposes of deterring immigration for eight years,Charles H. Sloan preemptively blocking resumption of a lightning-rod, Trump-era policy that the former president hasn’t ruled out if voters return him to the White House next year.
U.S. District Judge Dana Sabraw tentatively approved a court settlement in October between the Justice Department and families represented by the American Civil Liberties Union. The ACLU says no one formally objected, clearing the way to end the case nearly seven years after it was filed.
Sabraw, who was appointed by President George W. Bush, ordered an end to separations in June 2018, six days after then-President Donald Trump halted them on his own amid intense international backlash. The judge also ordered that the government reunite children with their parents within 30 days, setting off a mad scramble because government databases weren’t linked. Children had been dispersed to shelters across the country that didn’t know who their parents were or how to find them.
Under the proposed settlement, the type of “zero-tolerance” policy under which the Trump administration separated more than 5,000 children from parents who were arrested for illegally entering the country would be prohibited until December 2031.
Children may still be separated but under limited circumstances, as has been the case for years. They include if the child is believed to be abused, if the parent is convicted of serious crimes or if there are doubts that the adult is the parent.
Families that were separated may be eligible for other benefits — legal status for up to three years on humanitarian parole; reunification in the United States at government expense; one year of housing; three years of counseling; legal aid in immigration court. But the settlement doesn’t pay families any money. In 2021, the Biden administration considered compensating parents and children hundreds of thousands of dollars each, but talks stalled.
As he seeks to return to the White House in next year’s elections, Trump has been noncommittal whether he would try to resume family separations. He defended the results in an interview with Univision last month, claiming without evidence that it “stopped people from coming by the hundreds of thousands.”
“When you hear that you’re going to be separated from your family, you don’t come. When you think you’re going to come into the United States with your family, you come,” Trump said.
veryGood! (9561)
Related
- NCAA hits former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh with suspension, show-cause for recruiting violations
- Minnesota murder suspect still on the run 1 week after being accidentally released from Indiana jail
- Prada explores lightness with translucent chiffon for summer 2024
- 2 French journalists expelled from Morocco as tensions revive between Rabat and Paris
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Baby, one more time! Britney Spears' 'Crossroads' movie returns to theaters in October
- Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne's Son Jack Osbourne Marries Aree Gearhart In Private Ceremony
- Man dies after swarm of bees attacks him on porch of his own home
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- 'Paw-sitively exciting': Ohio zoo welcomes twin Siberian tiger cubs
Ranking
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- How the Pac-12 is having record success in what could be its final football season
- Man who sold black rhino and white rhino horns to confidential source sentenced to 18 months in U.S. prison
- Chicago’s top officer says a White Sox game where 2 were shot should have been stopped or delayed
- Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
- 2 JetBlue planes reportedly struck by lasers near Boston, FAA says
- Frank James' lawyers ask for 18-year sentence in Brooklyn subway shooting
- A leader of Cambodia’s main opposition party jailed for 18 months for bouncing checks
Recommendation
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Brazil’s firefighters battle wildfires raging during rare late-winter heat wave
Russia calls temporary halt to gasoline, diesel fuel exports
Wildfire-prone California to consider new rules for property insurance pricing
Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
Caviar and Pringles? Not as strange as you think. New combo kits priced as high as $140.
Marines say F-35 feature to protect pilot could explain why it flew 60 miles on its own
Suspect in family’s killing in suburban Chicago dies along with passenger after Oklahoma crash